North Carolina Non Owner Insurance DL123 Form


Non Owner DL123 for Drivers License or License Reinstatement Requirement. The state of North Carolina requires all licensed drivers to carry liability insurance and all residents must have this liability insurance or Non Owner Insurance in order to obtain a North Carolina driver's license.

If you do not own a vehicle, have moved from a different state, have a DUI / DWI, or are applying for a NC driver's license for the first time you need to purchase North Carolina Non Owner Insurance.

Start Your Free Quote

A Non-Owner policy, and frequently the DL123 form are required at the time you apply to
get your drivers license.  The DL123 is not an actual insurance policy by itself, it is a certificate supplied by your insurance carrier stating the start date, expiration date, and your non owner insurance policy number.  The form DL-123 is only valid for 30 days from the date it was issued.

Non Owner Insurance does not cover a vehicle, it is a secondary insurance policy providing financial responsibility for the driver who borrows a friends or neighbors car.  This type of policy is only pulled from if the primary insurance policy on the car has been exceeded.

North Carolina Legal Liability Insurance Limits:
$30,000 per person,  $60,000 per accident and $25,000 in property damage.  $30,000/$60,000 Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury, $25,000 Uninsured Motorist Property Damage.  These limits are for all North Carolina owner and North Carolina Non Owner Insurance policies.  Commonly referred to as liability limits 30/60/25.  Additional liability coverage can always be added and is better financial protection.

Non-Owner Insurance Policies Do NOT Include / Cover:

  •  Any other person / spouse
  •  Cars / Vehicles registered in policy holders name
  •  Cars / Vehicles that reside at the same address as the policy holder
  •  Comprehensive / collision
  •  Rental cars
  •  Towing reimbursement or rental reimbursement coverage.

Please call Wessell Insurance Services, LLC if you have any questions concerning Non-Owner Insurance or Auto Owners insurance #1-866-663-7561.

Start Your Free Quote

If you need the form DL-123 for a DWI please click here.  04/05/2022

Please contact Division of Motor Vehicles, 3148 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-3148 for specific NC driving law questions.