6 Tips: What to do After a Car Accident
With any luck, you won’t ever be involved in a car accident or need to file an insurance claim. As cautious and experienced driver as you may be, there is always a possibility that you wind up in a car crash. Would you be able to deal with the situation? Knowing what to do after a car accident can help make claims easier and get you back to where you were before.
If you are in an auto accident:
- Stay calm, stop your vehicle and check for injuries. The health of those involved in the accident is much more important than the state of the vehicle.
- Call the police if necessary. Inform them of the accident’s location, the number of people involved, whether there are injuries and the types of injuries.
- Prevent further damage. If possible and it is safe to do so, move your car to the side of the road and turn your hazards on. If you carry flares with you, use them to warn approaching cars to avert further accidents.
- Take notes. Keep a notepad handy, or use your smart phone to record the information.
- the date, time and location of the accident
- how the accident occurred – you can even draw it if you need to
- the type and location of damage to your car and the other cars or property involved
- the contact information, as well as drivers’ license information, of all drivers and passengers involved in the incident
- insurance identifications including the name of the insurance company and policy number
- the contact information of witnesses
- the names and badge numbers of police officers or other first response personnel
Here are a few don’ts to consider:
- Don’t talk about the financial limits of your insurance policy
- Don’t admit guilt, or discuss responsibility for the accident with anyone other than the police or insurance representative.
Car accidents are difficult for all relevant parties. However, if you stay relaxed, make sure everyone is safe, and follow the steps above, you will be able to navigate the aftermath of an accident and successfully submit an insurance claim.
If you have been in an accident, or if you have a DWI/DUI, we can provide same day SR22 insurance filing for over 33 states. Call us today at 1-866-663-7561.